Sleepy Oscar?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
IndefactorX
Location 1: Texas

Sleepy Oscar?

Post by IndefactorX »

Do any of you guys have oscars? How hardy are they, i just bought mine and for some reason it sits ON the gravel for most of the time and sometimes even goes flat against it, is this common behaviour...? i've seen it swim around quite a bit, but i have no experience with this fish
Only one difference between genius and stupidity, genius has its limits
saylaveev
Location 1: West Coast Canada

Post by saylaveev »

is it lying on the gravel when you come in to the room or something like that?

Many fish will lie right down on gravel because they are very scared. Are they lots of hiding places for it? Granted when larger its better to not have much stuff in the tank, but when young they do appreciate some form of coverage.

Oscars are great, very fast growing (hope you have a big tank lol) but are prone to hole in the head disease.

I'd make a bet, that if water quality isn't of concern, its probably just scared and hiding.
Just one obsessed fish lover looking for more fish lovers.
Moderator at about.com freshwater aquria forum.
My fishy friend include: 1 african butterfly, 4 silver dollars,3 rope fish, 2 raf cats, 2 bristlenose plecos, 1 royal pleco, 3 yellow labs, 3 acei's, and a blue crayfish.
Sadly missing, Spot, dearly departed 7" ghost knife
IndefactorX
Location 1: Texas

Post by IndefactorX »

its laying on the gravel when the lights are on, i'm looking at it right now and its swimming around, its laying down on the gravel less and less and it seems that the coloration is also getting a bit brighter*dunno* maybe it was just stress of moving from one tank to another, my nitrates are rather high tho and i'm not sure how i can bring them down, my ph is at 6.5 and there are no nitrites and i just treated for amonia so there shouldn't be a problem with that.. I think my oscar is fine now but i am rather concerned about the nitrates and how to bring them down from 100ppm
Only one difference between genius and stupidity, genius has its limits
aeroflight
Location 1: Albuquerque, NM, USA

Post by aeroflight »

When an oscar is moved to another tank, or pretty much whenever the oscar experiences any significant change to its environment, it will behave as you have described. It's commonly called "sulking". There are a number of websites/forums dealing specifically with oscars. One of my favorites is Oscarfish.com. Check it out. Be sure to read through the oscar faq's.
My wife likes cats.
I like catfish.

Return to “Tank Talk”