Fry Size for regular tank vs breeding tank

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
pandafan
Location 1: jacksonville, fl. u.s.
Interests: Recently Aquariums. Fishing. Computer games, reading.

Fry Size for regular tank vs breeding tank

Post by pandafan »

Im sure this has been covered before but I couldnt find anything. Can someone give me any ideas on how big Cory Fry should be before moving them to a regular tank? I have them in a breeding tank now but don't want to move them until they get big enough to keep from becoming sushi :lol:
Cory addict in training!
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

How big are the C. panda fry? How many are there? and what size is the breeding tank?

Ian
Allan
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Catfish, mostly corys.

Post by Allan »

I think the most important unknown factor to that question, is which fish i populating your "regular" tank?

If your tank only holds adult C. panda, then i would see no danger of them beeing eaten from a size of o,5 inch or 12 mm. Smaller would probably go as well.

Problem when they are that small and acompagnied by adults is a proper feeding of the youngsters.

Kr
Allan
pandafan

Post by pandafan »

OK, lets see if I can answer both post. I started off with 6 adult Panda's (bought in groups of 3 a week apart). The last 3 died, then I noticed a small fry that beat the odds and survived all on his own. No problem with him. The remaining 3 laid about 8 eggs, 5 hatched, lost all but two. Im american so please forgive me if I convert this measurment incorrectly. The survivor is approx 3 millimeters or an 1/8th inch.

Secondly, the regular tank is 10 gallons with 3 (now 4) panda's and one black moor goldfish. The breeder is actually a breeder net hanging in the tank. Not the best solution (I now know) but the only one I knew of at the time. Just purchased a 5 gal tank for future use.

Now of course Im hooked on cory's and am looking at several species and a turning my 30 gal tank into a cory tank. Guess I'll have to evict the wife's fish to the 55 gal tank in storage. :lol: Thanks for your help.
Last edited by pandafan on 10 Jun 2003, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
Cory addict in training!
pandafan

Post by pandafan »

Coryman
I forgot to add, I know that corys should be bought in groups but the only lfs that I have found that carries pandas hasnt had a very good track record. Only 3 out of 9 pandas Ive bought from them (total count) have made it. Guess I'll have to ask around and find another lfs that will order them for me. Have to do it anyway if Im looking for other species as most of the cory species arent normally found around here. Thanks for all the help
Cory addict in training!
Allan
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Catfish, mostly corys.

Post by Allan »

Hi Pandafan

I would wait moving them to a tank with a goldfish. I have seen 4 inch carp eat male grown guppi's, so i would not stock the fry with a goldfish until they are approx 2 cm (o,8 inch)

Good idea with a 5 gallon tank, get it going and raise the fry in that instead of the net, and then in time you can safely move the fry back to the parents and goldfish.

3 mm is imo way to small to stock with parents, even if you move the goldfish.

Good luck
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Post by Taratron »

Also the fact that cories are tropical, and goldfish are coldwater....totally different temperature gradients.
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
pandafan

Post by pandafan »

Thanks guys.
The goldfish is in there as a temporary measure until I finish my move, then he moves in with my wifes fish into a bigger tank. Then I can adjust my temps for my cory's. I've decided to make a 30 or 55 gal tank with nothing but cories.

And as one of life's odd twist I've had to put the Goldfish in my 5 gal breeder tank all by itself. Why? Because as I was cleaning 10gal tank yesterday I noticed that my panda's are not only sneaky but prolific. I've spotted two more fry swimming in there with them from apparently two diffrent spawns as they are totally diffrent in size! Mother Natures way of showing me who is boss I guess. Lesson learned, in future cory tank dont use quite so many plants, :lol: I'll keep the one in the breeder net until the move (next month) just in case and then put them all together as one big happy family. Sure wish I could figure out how I got them two spawn apparently 4 times in 3 months so I could duplicate it at will :lol:
Cory addict in training!
zac08
Location 1: Singapore

Post by zac08 »

Cool... do note tat there are a lot of juvenile pandas which are actually tank bred... and thus their mortality rate is higher...

Be warned... over here in Singapore, we're facing this problem too... some of my frens has never kept them alive for more than 2 months...
Michael Lim

My Fish Pix
Corydorus
pandafan

Post by pandafan »

Zac08, thanks for the tip. I'll keep my eyes on them. Thanks to everyone for the input.
Cory addict in training!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”