Bristlenose ancistrus??

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
William

Bristlenose ancistrus??

Post by William »

I am 99.9% sure the female is an ancistrus sp. but the male does not look identical. Please see the enclosed photos and help me to ID him, because I believe there are more than one species of bristlenose and was hoping to breed them but obviously if they are different species I may have to trade him in. The female is fully egg laden and has been for 3weeks and I added the male two weeks ago there is a suitable cave for them to breed in (like a hollowed out bamboo with a good width).

Thanks

The male has patches of lighter skin I think this is due to having just (literally half an hour before I took the pictures) moved the tank and so it seems stress related he is now back to his regular dark colour all over. Thanks!!
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Looks like the male and female are two different species of <i>Ancistrus</i>. The male looks like <i>A. triradiatus</i>.
William

Thanks

Post by William »

Here is another of the female Image

Any chance you could indentify her exact L number so I can ask the LFS to order some in, I don't trust them as they sold me even after i took the female in as being of the same species.. :roll: I guess i'll trade back in the triradiatus...

Thanks for the speedy help :)
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

You could try asking for goldspot bristlenoses, as your fish seems to be the same species as those in this thread.
William

Post by William »

Cheers for the link I'm 90% sure she's the same,one of the moderators posting saying they were probably common ancistrus such as "Ancistrus temmincki" and after doing a look up on google I have seen some Ancistrus temmincki pics and she does look very similar she does have a small white like stripe at the end of her tail so she may not be?

Any other ideas what the male could be as I'm going to trade him in but beofre I traded him in I want to know which one he is :roll:
kgroenhoej
Location 1: Denmark

Post by kgroenhoej »

I think the male looks like a stressed A. Claro

-Klaus

Return to “What is my catfish?”