Breeding Cory sodalis. Please Help!!!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
st24rsap
My images: 9
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: somerset

Breeding Cory sodalis. Please Help!!!

Post by st24rsap »

As the title really, i have 13 Cory sodalis in a 100L tank and from what i have read they dont breed in captivity

does anyone know any different????
Last edited by st24rsap on 01 Feb 2008, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
kim m
My cats species list: 49 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Pike and Carpfishing, Aquariums (mainly corys)

Re: Breeding Cory soldalis. Please Help!!!

Post by kim m »

Ian Fuller has bred them.
Best regards,
Kim M
-----------
Catfish Study Group
Guardians of Catfish
Skive Akvarieforening
st24rsap

Re: Breeding Cory sodalis. Please Help!!!

Post by st24rsap »

do you know where i can find any information on the Sodalis or Ian fuller, im new to this site so please forgive my ignorence
kim m
My cats species list: 49 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Pike and Carpfishing, Aquariums (mainly corys)

Post by kim m »

Ian is running the website http://www.corydorasworld.com wich is the number one place to be if you're into Corys.

I can't remember the excact details og the spawning, but Ian will probably pop by this thread. He's known as Coryman on this site.
Best regards,
Kim M
-----------
Catfish Study Group
Guardians of Catfish
Skive Akvarieforening
st24rsap

Post by st24rsap »

kim m wrote:Ian is running the website http://www.corydorasworld.com wich is the number one place to be if you're into Corys.

I can't remember the excact details og the spawning, but Ian will probably pop by this thread. He's known as Coryman on this site.
thanks kim m, i found the corydorasworld site but cant view a lot without paying and becoming a member which i may do in time.

cant find much on spawning them, only seems to be a few sites that say it is possible. hopefully Coryman may be able to help me with some info on them :)
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Cordyroasworld is Ian Fuller (Coryman's) commercial web-site. It has a little bit of free content, but most of the "good stuff" is only available to members. It costs money to run a web-site [and keep it filled with content]. Not everyone are as enthusiastic as Jools about donating their income to sponsor a site they run. You could, as an alternative, perhaps buy Ian's book called something like "Breeding Corydoradine catfish". But I guess you get more out of becoming a member on Ian's site.

--
Mats
st24rsap

Post by st24rsap »

MatsP wrote:Cordyroasworld is Ian Fuller (Coryman's) commercial web-site. It has a little bit of free content, but most of the "good stuff" is only available to members. It costs money to run a web-site [and keep it filled with content]. Not everyone are as enthusiastic as Jools about donating their income to sponsor a site they run. You could, as an alternative, perhaps buy Ian's book called something like "Breeding Corydoradine catfish". But I guess you get more out of becoming a member on Ian's site.

--
Mats
i am very pasionate about my fish and have no objections to donateing money to a well run forum as the help you get back is priceless, as said i will be signing upto the site :D
cartouche
Location 1: Middle Europe

Post by cartouche »

I know more breeders than Ian Fuller, who spawned difficult Cories like Sodalis. But what's the most important thing, they succeeded only once. And if you can't repeat it, it's worthless from the practical point of view. Maybe you can become a member of some prestigious club of "Master Breeders", but the world won't notice your "successful spawning" at all, because you did nothing for spreading the fish in captivity.

Personally I didn't succeed with Sodalis even with hormonal stimulation - which I report in another thread.
corydoras
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:18)
Spotted: 21
Location 1: Nottingham UK

Post by corydoras »

Hi

According to Ian's book, he has spawned C. sodalis on more than one occaison. However his spawning frequency chart shows these occasions to only be in July and August.

This, to me, indicates that C.sodalis is one of the species that will only spawn during the times of the year it spawns in the wild. You are unlikely to have any success trying to spawn them at any other time of the year, irrespective of the method you use.

July and August is the holiday season when people are often concentrating on other things than being inside trying to breed fish. Maybe a one contributory reason to why they are rarely spawned?

Matt
st24rsap

Post by st24rsap »

since changing the tank layout and replaceing the substrate with sand and adding just amazon swords the fish have seemed much happier and active. I noticed yesterday that the largest of the corys in my tank was acting quite strange, he would keep going back to the same leaf on one of the amazon swords and sit on it at a slight angle, he would then swim the length of the leaf whilst flicking his tale and body against the lef, once he got to the end he would turn around and do the same in the opposite direction, this happened several times in the same night after doing a 40% water change :?:

I dont claim to be a breeder as i have never tried before, its something i have always wanted to do and now i have the time and space i wanted to give it a try
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

cartouche wrote:I know more breeders than Ian Fuller, who spawned difficult Cories like Sodalis. But what's the most important thing, they succeeded only once. And if you can't repeat it, it's worthless from the practical point of view. Maybe you can become a member of some prestigious club of "Master Breeders", but the world won't notice your "successful spawning" at all, because you did nothing for spreading the fish in captivity.

Personally I didn't succeed with Sodalis even with hormonal stimulation - which I report in another thread.
cartouche,

I really cannot see your point.

Unlike you I for one am not interested in breeding Corys, or any other fish for pure profit. From all your profound statements regarding breeding and spreading fish around the hobby, to me is just a guise, you do it purely for personal gain. I don't read anywhere any full reports on any of your breeding successes, with or without hormone injections. All I hear is, this one or that one will or will not produce and is therefor worthy or not of continuing with. Thus, like the fish you reject as useless I too think the same of your comments about the validity of other peoples breeding successes.

If you researched your species thoroughly you would find all the necessary information to give them the right conditions for them to breed naturally and funnily enough I don't know of one species of Corydoradinae Catfish that has to self injects hormones.

Ian
cartouche
Location 1: Middle Europe

Post by cartouche »

If you want to stimulate Sodalis anyhow, I can give you some advice: Combine large water changes with drops of temperature and very strong filtration. After cca 2 weeks of such a practice, the fish were apparently stimulated and males chased each other in the tank. However, since females had no eggs, it was useless.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”