Catfish I am after

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
kimberwhitehead

Catfish I am after

Post by kimberwhitehead »

Hi all

I have started my first tropical tank with a 95 litre tropical tank. I saw some stunning silver shark catfish and was wondering will I be able to house them in that sz tank?? Or would I have to buy a bigger aquaruim, if so how big should I have to go??

At present in my tank I have:

4 mollies: 3 girs, 1 boy

4 platties

4 pengiun tetras

1 plec

are there any sz catfish I can get that won't grow SO huge but are happy to be in a community tank??
Attachments
catfish i am after
catfish i am after
sharkcat.jpg (13.99 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Catfish I am after

Post by MatsP »

The fish you are looking for is , which is not suitable for such a small tank, indeed, you need MUCH larger tank than that - at the very least double the size in EACH dimension, probably more.

They also require salt to be "happy", which will not work well with the other fishes you have listed.

There are many [as in hundreds of] catfish species that would be OK in your tank - which ones you like is a different matter.

--
Mats
gage
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Canada

Re: Catfish I am after

Post by gage »

im not sure about the dimensions of your tank, but a good alternative to those catfish would be a pictus cat, of course, you can say goodbye to your fish, as pictus in my experience make quite the predators.

as MatsP said Hexanematichthys seemanni, need salt to live, most people can only keep them till they get 6" in completely freshwater, of course, their is always some that survive longer, but in general, they will die on you.

Return to “Other Catfishes”