Please help with this Corydoras

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
zac08
Location 1: Singapore

Please help with this Corydoras

Post by zac08 »

This is request from a fello forummer from another webbie.... and these are the pics :

Please help.... the closest I could get to was a C Aenues (gold), but the pictures do not quite match... and these specimens had a really vivid gold sheen....

thanks in advance,
Michael Lim

My Fish Pix
Corydorus
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

Adobe program? This does'nt look real to me!!
zac08

Post by zac08 »

Graeme wrote:Adobe program? This does'nt look real to me!!
Negative... at least I dun think the guy was trying to fool anyone when he asked for ID of these creatures....
Michael Lim

My Fish Pix
Corydorus
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

The color looks really unnatural. I suspect either a dye-injected fish, or one of those man-made mutants.
zac08

Post by zac08 »

Hmm.... :?

I see.... any other comments on this fish??
Michael Lim

My Fish Pix
Corydorus
benny

Post by benny »

I've seen the aeneus gold and this definitely don't look like it. By the way, these pictures are not dolled up with photoshop. There are a few shops here that has this shipment of cories in the last few days.

But can they artifically inject two lines on each cory? Sounds like hell of a job to me. Besides, the line has quite a consistent pattern (meaning thickness). I have seen those with a red patch near the caudal fins, but never 2 lines on each side of the dosal fin.

Cheers,
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

Post by PlecoCrazy »

I have seen these before at the fish store I work at. Unfortunately I thought I would wait a day before buying them and when I came in the next day they were gone. But anyways you are all mistaken, they are real. If you guys would have even researched the corydoras aeneus species on this very website you'll see they have it listed as a laser green. View by scientific name, then corydoras aeneus, then click Featured as Catfish of the Month. Shane's World has an article on them as well I beleive.
philtre
My images: 3
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: sg

Post by philtre »

these are not injected, nor man-made. neither are they doctored pictures.
:D
goldline aeneus.

PlecoCrazy,
yeah ... a specimen of this can be seen in the same page as the green stripe aeneus (but they are not green stripe aeneus) URL here
http://www.planetcatfish.com/ilibrary/c ... /274_f.htm

They are actually gold stripe aeneus, as seen here
http://www.planetcatfish.com/ilibrary/c ... /273_f.htm

kinda cool cories! they actually glimmer in the water! can't wait to lay my eyes on another again!

cheers!
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

I think they're dyed, because the strip is too uniform. If you take a gander at the pictures in the Cat-eLog, the strips are actually quite inconsistent. The yellow in the picture above is also way too saturated for a naturally colored fish. The easiest way to find out if it is dyed is to buy it, and see if the color fades over time. Dyed fish tend to lose their injected color pretty quickly.

Just my 2¢
Rusty
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

I do not believe these fish are dyed I have one of these and the colour seams to get better with age.

Ian
oneoddfish
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: detroit,michigan
Interests: large cats-odd balls-I also breed alot of different african cichlid. but my favorite thing is collecting RARE or very hard to obtain fish...

dyed...NOT

Post by oneoddfish »

These fish are NOT dyed we had a shipment of them( only 40)about 2month's ago they were calling them green laser cory's..I checked them out very very carefully because I couldn't believe the color they had..I was gonna bring home a dozen but didn't seperate them .left for 15 minutes to pick up my lunch a customer walked in and bought them all.have not been able to get more since..but I'm positive that's there god given color's and they are beautiful!!!!!!
what's the matter?---cat got you'r tongue.

Jerry L Brown
whiskers
Location 1: Smyrna,Delaware
Location 2: smyrna,Delaware
Interests: Tropical fish,corvettes

please help with cory ID

Post by whiskers »

These fish are listed in aquabid auction under Corydoras cf.Aeneus lime. J&M tropicals has them.
coneshell

Post by coneshell »

Yes, they are real & natural, NOT dyed. There seems to be two forms. We call 'em Aeneus Gold Line & Green Line (self explanatory). Both forms usually come from Peru. The color variation in the two form is probably a regional thing.
SynoPetri
Location 1: Bairisch Kölldorf, Austria
Interests: athletics

Post by SynoPetri »

The colour is unbeliveable. I've never seen such a briliant colour.

BTW, what is their size?
Georg
zac08

Post by zac08 »

Unbelievable...

2 of our leading experts here claiming them to be dyed fishes without even a second look... How are we to trust them for identification in future??

I understand that you're not particularly happy about dyed fishes and man-made species, but could you also have a more critical eye to ID the fish properly first before making such claims?? :evil:

Thank you to all the others,
at least I now know that they are really natural and not as claimed fake or man-made... :roll:
Michael Lim

My Fish Pix
Corydorus
Shawnm311

AWsome

Post by Shawnm311 »

Those are beautiful fish I think they are natural
Rusty
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

I stand corrected :)

Rusty
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

zac08 wrote:Unbelievable...

2 of our leading experts here claiming them to be dyed fishes without even a second look... How are we to trust them for identification in future??
I suggest that next time you just believe your LFS.
Catz
Interests: All fishes...

Post by Catz »

I definitely sure it is natural as I have once saw this fish before. :wink:
zac08

Post by zac08 »

Dinyar wrote:

So can I safely assume that this forum is not good enough to help on these identification matter?? :evil:

Where else should I get my answers from then?? If a newbie or a junior member requests for information, is this the way you want to treat them?? :roll: :roll:

If you wish to state that ONLY pure breds and non-mutant species are allowed here, then fine... I'll go, and never come back here again.... But look at the other posts here, how many are such breds?? such as the veil-tailed aenues http://www.forum.planetcatfish.com/viewtopic.php?t=1814.... so pls state your stand.... :twisted:
Michael Lim

My Fish Pix
Corydorus
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

zac08 wrote:
Dinyar wrote:

So can I safely assume that this forum is not good enough to help on these identification matter?? :evil:

Where else should I get my answers from then?? If a newbie or a junior member requests for information, is this the way you want to treat them?? :roll: :roll:

If you wish to state that ONLY pure breds and non-mutant species are allowed here, then fine... I'll go, and never come back here again.... But look at the other posts here, how many are such breds?? such as the veil-tailed aenues http://www.forum.planetcatfish.com/viewtopic.php?t=1814.... so pls state your stand.... :twisted:
I wouldn't call myself a leading expert by any stretch of the imagination...

In this particular case, you have proven the nay sayers wrong. Just because of the little title under our usernames, should we be expected to be right 100% of the time? No. Are we going to make honest mistakes? Yes.

Anyway, I don't think that dyed/mutilated/disfigured fish should be "banned" here, but many members feel strongly about them. I personally think that line breeding, hybridizing, etc. are disgusting. And just because there are a lot of "breeds" doesn't make the practice right :roll: If you or others disagree with me, fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Rusty
zac08

Post by zac08 »

Hi there Rusty,

I myself am a moderator in other forums and I do understand that we do make mistakes. But if I do make a mistake, I'd be a man and say sorry for such a mistake.

What I do not like here is the high and mighty attitudes that only pure breds are welcomed and all others are to be shunned.... even those suspected to be hybrids or mutants are thrown aside just without thought.

I'm not for nor against such fishes, but since it has occured, be it by man or by a freak of nature, why do we have to be so strong against it?? Look at the comments thrown immediately...
Adobe program? This does'nt look real to me!!
The color looks really unnatural. I suspect either a dye-injected fish, or one of those man-made mutants.
Without checking thru the database and verification... they can make such comments, this I'm not particularly pleased with.

I do apologise for being too strong with my words, but this has made me re-think about showing any more pictures here again.
Michael Lim

My Fish Pix
Corydorus
Bathos
I've donated: $20.00!
Location 1: USA, Pennsylvania
Interests: Corydoras and other freshwater fish

Post by Bathos »

we do not all get to see the same fish. physical locations are a big part of this, as are the circles in which one travels. most of the cories on this site i will never get the chance to see because A) even the best fish stores in my area don't have much of a catfish selection. if i go to a fish store about an hour away i can find about 5 different species. other than that and the fish store that specializes in catfish (they have a maximum of 5 species, usually 4), i can get aeneus, albino, and if i'm lucky, palateus. that's 10 species of cories max that i could get to see, and any new-ish species is unlikely to be found in that 10. B) i don't know anyone who has a real interest in cories. if i did, that would certianly add to the number of cories i might see, but i would still just see the cories of those other cory fanciers. if none of them happened to see a particular fish, i'm unlikely to have seen it as well, unless a fish store near me happened to get a shipment in. different suppliers get fish from different areas, and i imagine the various suppliers would be more popular in different countries due to import/export laws, the supplier's physical location, and the like. because of this, i'm not surprised that such an unusually brightly colored cory might arrouse suspicions in those who had not actually seen it, and i'm not surprised that many people have not seen such cories.

as for some people on the site not not liking selective breeding, etc, they are allowed to air their opinions, just as you are allowed to air yours. there's nothing wrong with a good debate, as long as you keep it professional and don't personally attack someone (ie. you're not man enough to _______ )

-Liz
SynoPetri

Post by SynoPetri »

Interesting discusion!

@zac08
I have nothing against hybrids. I was also in the same situation as you are at the moment. I saw a very beautiful fish which I didn't know. So I posted a picture in this forum and asked what fish it is. Here is the link to this forum http://www.forum.planetcatfish.com/view ... 06&start=0 After a while of discussing someone said that it could be a hybrid. So I have not bought this fish.

I would never buy a hybrid, in the case that I know that it is a hybrid, because I don't want to spread hybrids. I mean in most of the cases they are man made and not a "freak of nature". And I want my fish to be as natural as possible.
Georg
zac08

Post by zac08 »

Thanks Georg,

there may be a bit of truth intrying to reduce the chances and amount of hybrids out there if this was just the beginning, but we have to sit down and accept the fact that hybrids are here to stay, whether we like it or not....

And even though man are responsible for fine-tuning of the hybrids for the colours, patterns, etc.... it must have occured at least a few times for man to sit up and realise that "Hey, this fish may be interesting"

At least I believe that this was how the long finned paleatus got started...

And now, not only catfishes... almost all the fishes are bred this way, Discusm, guppies, bettas, etc....

Cheers,
Michael Lim

My Fish Pix
Corydorus
Coryman
Expert

Post by Coryman »

Michael,

This subject has been well documented in another thread on this forum and I am not going to delve deeply into it again, I think you and most of the forum users know my views on hybrids and mutant fish. So, going back to the original starting point of this topic. The so called 'lazer green' 'Gold, Green, orange/red stripe' varieties of Cory are in my opinion not C. aeneus but distinct species in their own right and only time and a knowledgeable ichyologist will sort them out.

As the long finned C.aeneus have also been dragged into this thread I will tell you that they along with the long finned Ancistrus were originally developed in the Czech Republic using artificialy induced hormones. NOT line bread. This information was given to me by someone that imported them directly from the so called breeders. This practice is also happening in fish farms in southern europe.

Ian
zac08

Post by zac08 »

Thank you Ian for clearing up that for me....

I've had this mistaken thought that it had occured in the wild abeit in very small numbers, thus they had isolated those few specimens to breed to get the genes out...

Hmm... artificial hormones will induce long finnage.... could you please explain a bit more, I'm getting really interested and hopefully I'll know which ones to avoid in future...
Michael Lim

My Fish Pix
Corydorus
SynoPetri

Post by SynoPetri »

Hy Michael!

We have to live with hybrids, that is right. And I do live with them. I just wanted to say that hybrids are not the right way because in the confusion is going to get bigger and bigger in future.

In future hybridism will be like maths:
1 + 1 = 2 + 3 = 5
S. polli + S. petricola = S. polltricola + S. multipunctatus = S. polltricolatus

Maybe this is grossly exaggerated but who knows what the future will bring. And if we buy hybrids we support hybridism!
Georg
Coryman
Expert

Post by Coryman »

Michael,

How they achieve the results I do not know but I may be able to find out.

Ian

PS got the Magazine today thanks

Return to “What is my catfish?”