Panaque Question

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Atlas
Location 1: Singapore

Panaque Question

Post by Atlas »

Hi,

Is Panaques known in the hobby to be a particularly difficult to keep species.

It so happens that I haven't have much luck with them. I have quite a few species of Lori cats in my tank. It seems the Panaques are often the first to show signs of something is wrong. For no particular reason, they don't have as good appetite compared to the other L fishes. They look pretty normal except suddenly you notice that their belly is slightly sunken followed by sunken eyes. All the other fishes is in the same tank and do not have this problem.

What is wrong and what should I do to keep Panaques successfully.

Thanks for any help.
plecoguy
Location 1: Boise, Idaho United States

hum...

Post by plecoguy »

sounds to me like those fish have internal parasites...Maybe they had them when you bought em...I think they are quite easy to care for, as long as you get them in good condition to start with.
Vik
Location 1: Oregon, USA
Interests: Photography, Fish, Racing

Post by Vik »

Do you have driftwood in your tank? Panaques need some in their diet. They are usually heavy eaters too, are you providing lots of food sources?
Atlas
Location 1: Singapore

Post by Atlas »

Thanks for the replies.

Hi plecoguy, how can I verify that they have internal parasite and what do you recommed to use if they do have internal parasites? (any commercial medication?)

Hi Vik, I do have lots of driftwood in my tank and the food fed is mainly algae wafers. What do you recommed as additional foods?

Regards
batho
Location 1: Stoke-on-Trent, England
Interests: Catfish

Post by batho »

Atlas,

I feed my L27 on blanched courgette (zuchini to our American friends) and algae tablets high in % algae.

I have tried squash and other fruit and veg but doesn't bother.

He is growing well and now at about 3".

Steve
plecoguy
Location 1: Boise, Idaho United States

okay

Post by plecoguy »

i would say you need to be careful in chooseing you plecos. When you go buy a pleco do everything you can to see the entire fish, and make sure he looks okay. If it is a fish they just got in maybe ask them to hold it for you a couple days so you can keep your eye on him, make sure hes got a full belly, he is eating normal, and his behavior is correct. I havent had internal parasites, so maybe someone else can help you with the medications. I hope i helped a little
Harley
Location 1: Umeå, Sweden

Post by Harley »

Atlas: i have the same problem !
I bought 3 Panaque Maccus recently.. only one made it. And now its dying ! (sunken belly and eyes). I dont know whats wrong. Everyone else in the tank is ok.

im not ment to have panaques =/
Vik
Location 1: Oregon, USA
Interests: Photography, Fish, Racing

Post by Vik »

Harley,

If you bought all three maccus from the same place/tank perhaps they were all sick to start with. Plecoguy is right, it is important to observe all of the fish before you buy, just in case.

Atlas: I know my panaques all love their squash and zucchini! It is always a welcome treat!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”