Catfish for Pond

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
jeffstricklin1

Catfish for Pond

Post by jeffstricklin1 »

Can anybody recommend a good catfish that will be hardy enough to live in an outdoor pond in the San Francisco Bay Area? (For those who don't know, its a pretty mild climate... coldest temp may drop to about 32°F--but thats maybe for a night or two during the winter--other than that, 50s).The pond is about 7' x 4' x 1.5'.

I found the pseudobagrus fulvidraco by browsing through the cat e-log. Any others?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Bullheads will do fine as well.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Many Chinese catfish will do well in relatively cold water, but so will many N. American catfish, and the latter are certainly easier to find in N. America.

Dinyar
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Although I must add that you have to be aware of the sizes that the catfish can grow to. Many of the larger North American cats (e.g. channel cats, blue cats, flathead cats) will grow too big for your pond. The most common Chinese <i>Silurus</i> (<i>S. asotus</i>) will also grow too big for your pond.
Of course, you could put madtoms in your pond, but they'd be way too small.

Return to “Speak Easy”