HELP!!!! Dianema caught in the net!!!!!!!!!!1

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Cory_lover
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Location 1: Melbourne
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Corydoras fanatic

HELP!!!! Dianema caught in the net!!!!!!!!!!1

Post by Cory_lover »

Someone please help me....i was trasnfering my dianema to my 35 gal tank, and then it got entangled in the net. i couldn't do anything except cut the net away from its pectoral fins. Now there's this tiny bit of net in its fin. Is this alright???? Will it stay there forever??

Luckily, after it got caught in the net, i still had to transfer the other dianema and hoplo, so i used a small container to catch it.

so would somebody please offer advice...
I speak 12 languages fluently. English is my bestest. - Bush
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

It's probably best to let the fish recuperate for a few days, but if he doesn't rid himself of the bits (sometimes they do that) you have to catch him again; hold him (or better, get assistance from someone who'll hold the fish) with a wet handkerchief or something; and use a pair of tiny scissors to cut the pieces of net.

Those pieces are wrapped around the spines, I think?

Nxt time, buy a fine mesh net. I stopped using the usual nets after the same experience.
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
Cory_lover

Post by Cory_lover »

yes, the net is wrapped around the pectoral spine. The fine mesh net u're talking about, are those the ones that feel like pantyhose, and are usually white in colour?
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

Yep, that's the one.
Usually they're quite a bit thougher than pantyhose, though!

After experiencing messed-up Dorads and Syno's, and let's not forget Bristlenoses; I decided years ago to dump all the nets and go for those finely meshed ones.
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
Cory_lover

Post by Cory_lover »

Hm....*sobz*...i just tried to pull the net out with tweezers...but didn't work..it seemed like there were some other sort of mini-spines preventing me from pulling the net out...i'm so stressed!!!!!!!!!! I was like shakign while trying to pull the net out!!!!!!!!
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Try placing the fish in cool water to make it more torpid. This makes it easier to handle the fish (as it will struggle less), as well as reduce stress on the fish.
After you do that, use a pair of scissors and carefully cut the net away from the spine (do not try to pull the net away from the spine).
That was how I got around a similar problem once.
Nautica
Location 1: Michigan, USA

Post by Nautica »

If you can get a fish anesthetic that would help. In the states, there is one called MS-222, which is one of the leading meds to calm fish. It is also used to fully sedate fish when procedures are required. At very high doses, it is considered the most humane ways to euthanize a fish. From what I understand it is added to water they are in (small, measured container). Its cheap too, at around 5 bucks from what I understand.

Here is a link. It may not help you in Aus, but it may help someone else in the same bind. http://www.argent-labs.com/argentwebsite/ms-222.htm

One other thing you may research is Clove Oil. Research it on the web as it is easy to find, at least in US at many health food stores or even drug store. I only raise this as Clove Oil is considered by some to be a fish anesthetic used at lower doses and at higher doses it is lethal and is considered good for euthanasia. I have used it for this purpose, mixed with vodka as I found on some web-sites. There are other web-sites that state its safety as an anesthetic has not been proven. All anesthetics, just like in humans, bring risk.

Here is another web-site that describes the various states of sedation a fish can undergo. These levels of sedation, along with their signs, are important to know before attempting.

http://www.ivis.org/advances/Anesthesia ... m.asp?LA=1

I hope you'll provide an update. I hope you won't need to consider this as an option, but I just thought I would mention it.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”