L183 breeding with albino bristle nose pleco. Possible ?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
will5
Location 1: chicago,IL (USA)

L183 breeding with albino bristle nose pleco. Possible ?

Post by will5 »

Hi i have two questions.

1. Is it possible for L183 to breed with albino bristle nose pleco?

2. does L183 eat live plants?
Live, Love, and be happy
Shaun
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Catfish...

Post by Shaun »

1. Doubtful, but it could happen. Not a good idea to do it deliberately if thats what you are planning.
2. Generally they won't eat live aquarium plants, but they will nibble on soft-leaved stuff as they're a herbivorous fish. If they are lacking vegetable matter in their diet they're much more likely to attack plants.
HTH
Shaun
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I agree with Shaun's both points on breeding L183 with albino's. Albinos are , a different species to , and to cross-breed those would create a hybrid - it's possible that they are close enough genetically to cross, but that should definitely be avoided at all costs. There is enough confusion about the origins of some of the common Ancistrus species without creating any further mixed origin species...

Ancistrus species in general will not eat plants, they will try to eat algae on the leaves, and may "wear down" the plants in the long term, but they are not herbivores in the plant-eating respect, but rather that they eat "aufwuchs" or Perihyton, which is the stuff that grows on rocks, plants and other surfaces in an aquatic environment.

If you want to breed Ancistrus, keep the species separate! If you don't want to breed them, keep one sex only [males or females only]

--
Mats
will5
Location 1: chicago,IL (USA)

HI

Post by will5 »

Hi no i don't want them to cross breed if i buy one and stick him or her in the tank with my albino bristle nose
pl*co's. I just wanted to know if it was OK for them to be in the same tank. so that they may breed with there own kind and would not mix. But I guess from what I am hearing is that it "might" be possible. So that in it self is enough to say for me not to house them together in the same tank

Well thanks for the help. :)
Live, Love, and be happy

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”